[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Vipul Gupta vipulgupta2048 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 05:09:56 EST 2018

*Sigh*

This was my response to reading the entire list. Since Vijay does need for
the community to decide and the discussion has been put to bed. I feel I
should speak up as I feel I am a tiny part of this community too. And that
feeling is important. The feeling of being a part of something bigger than
yourself.

Now, I wouldn't dare to add to the discussion other than what many people
have said in the support of realslimshanky (Shashank Kumar). Here are my
views on it. I am a second-year student, pursuing B.Tech CSE, started
contributing just a year ago. Majorly in PyCon India 2017. In my case,
realslimshanky had reviewed most of my commits in the PyCon India 2017 repo
for both PyCon blogs and the website. I contributed by fixing small bugs
and worked closely with him. LGTM is just a sign that the commit is good to
be deployed, fulfills its purpose, wouldn't harm other components of the
website/app. It wouldn't mean approving the commit and merging to the
master/production branch. It's just a comment. Even I use it myself, for
the commits I review. I have seen many other people do it. Now if that's a
bad practice, I would fix myself but that's not the case here.

Removing his rights and the responses made by Vijay on the mailing list
were unjust and uncalled for. Yes, an apology to realslimshanky would help
here because if I was a new volunteer, I wouldn't feel too good about
contributing further. This is sadly what this reflects in my eyes. But
still, I am too young to have an opinion on the matter concerned. And for
the long run, this mail wouldn't matter much. Also, this situation could be
handled in a much better way as many other people pointed out.

I do appeal to all other volunteers (new and old) to keep contributing and
continue working for the Pycon India 2018. This community has taught me so
much in the previous year. I wish all that you would have the same
experience as I had, this year too.

Happy Contributing !!

Cordially,
Vipul Gupta

Ps. This has been my first reply to the mailing list. I apologize for the
top post reply but the discussion was very long to reply inline.
Also, Vijay (@vnbang2003)
1. Is this a joke? [0] But still, I guess better than 1:1 discussions.
2. I use this online tool for proofreading. Give it a shot, it's free [1]

[0] - https://github.com/pythonindia/pycon-india-2018-tasks
[1] - https://www.grammarly.com/