[Inpycon] Mail threads

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Tue Apr 17 03:39:15 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,
    We interrupt you broadcast for a small bit of administrivia.

    It's healthy to see a large amount of discussion on the mailing list.
One little rule which newcomers can follow to help people sort through
the matters being discussed is to keep threads on topic.

    If a mail thread (or conversation for you gmail'ers) is going on
about a a topic (e.g. volunteering), please don't reply back to the
thread with an email talking about a bug on the website. Start a
separate thread for that with an appropriate subject line.

    If a thread is running for along time and the topic has gradually
changed or if you're forking the discussion to go off on a tangent which
is separate from, though relevant to, the original thread, please change
the subject to "X (was Y)" in the subject so that people know where the
fork has happened straight from the inbox.

    Please don't top post. Top posting is okay for one on one
conversation where it's sort of an old fashioned IM. However, top
posting in a mailing list makes each email in the thread bigger than the
previous. I finally had a moderation request for an email which got
blocked because the body was too big. It's also harder to read
especially if you're trying to make a nuanced reply.

    Now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks!