[Inpycon] Reg PyCon India 2018

Vanitha Shanmugam vani.pree at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 10:12:44 EDT 2018

On 14 April 2018 at 17:38, E Manivannan <elangovan.manivannan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was planning to send out update to the entire group on how we are
> progressing - however I see alot of anxious emails.

I think you did not get my point. We do not want just an information on
final decision made regarding PyCon India to be sent here but want the
actual discussion to happen here.

> HydPy team has been working to make Pycon India 2018 a successful event
> and to this regard, we have published a tentative plan - which included
> conference format, work groups, budgeting etc. On this plan, we received
> feedback & have made progress in that direction.
>
> We have formed work groups which include members across India. They have
> started discussions & charting the work for the conference. Every decision
> & direction taken are towards making this event successful.

Do you mean that people have to be part of workgroup or volunteer to
provide suggestions?
I hope you understand that not everyone in the community can be part of the
workgroup/volunteer and we, PyCon India values every contribution however
small it is and that includes suggestions coming through discussions in
mailing list too.

Just curious, can you please tell me the guidelines used to select people
in workgroups and who all were involved in coming up with guidelines and
selection of people? I don't remember seeing a discussion in mailing list
on the guidelines. How was community involved in this?

> We want positive collobration from everyone and would welcome
> participation from anyone whether in Workgroups/Volunteers. Lastly, I
> request everyone to understand that "Python Community is Larger than the
> individual differences", so please participate constructively.

How would everyone participate when only the decisions are notified here
and no suggestions are accepted? I expect you to understand that Python
community is Large and the decisions on PyCon India has to be made
involving the large community rather than having a closed group discussion
over Telegram/other modes offline.
Also, not everyone think alike and the things that you feel constructive
might not be considered constructive by all.

I request you not to silence people from asking questions instead make sure
to take everyone together which will not give anybody a chance to
question. Being
a chair of PyCon India is a huge responsibility and some of the
responsibilities are making sure the discussion is happening in mailing
list, justifying the decision taken by the organising committee and
bridging the communication gap between organizing committee and python
community of India. And would request you to justify the venue selection,
updating and publishing sponsorship doc in the website without discussing
here.

I appreciate if you can let others addressed in my previous email to
respond and clarify the queries. Just to remind you, my queries are related
to the way PyCon India is being organized and the community involvement not
just individual differences.

Thanks,
Vanitha