[Inpycon] Summary of the PyCon India 2018 Planning Meeting

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 06:00:26 EST 2017

Good to see great momentum.

I've couple of suggestions.

I think it is counter productive to have one-day dedicated for  Python for
kids. Having an exclusive day forces people who are not very involved to
skip it. I think the conference should try to make it possible to interact
people with different interests rather than creating silos. Wouldn't it be
of great value for people working with kids to interact with IoT and ML
expects and take some ideas home?

I also suggest to consider conducting workshops along with the conference.
What we have been following is the US PyCon style with one/two days of
workshops before the conference and every participant pays for each
workshop he want to attend. There is other popular model used in
EuroPython[1], PyCon UK[2] and many other conferences is to conduct the
workshops along with the conference. Both of their advantages and
disadvantages. I was a strong proponent of the first approach, but after
attending couple of these conferences I started to change my opinion. I
think having both talks and workshops at the same time is lot more
convenient to than having workshops on a separate day. If I want to attend
just one workshop, I can spend rest of the day attend other talks and
interacting with people, which is not possible when workshops are on a
separate day. Believe me, it is very hard to decide which workshop to
attend before getting into conference mood :)

I suggest making the conference 3 days + 2 days sprints, with workshops
along with talks. We can have a kids track on the second day and reserve
last 2 slots of that day for presentations by kids showcasing what they've
built during the day. This gives a chance for everyone attending the
conference to experience what amazing things kids could build. PyCon UK did
it like this this time[3] and it was amazing. I don't think I would have
attended that if they had a separate day for kids before the main
conference.

[1]: https://ep2017.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2017/
[2]: http://2017.pyconuk.org/schedule/
[3]: http://2017.pyconuk.org/education/