[Inpycon] [pythonpune] Re: Announcing PyCon Pune 2017 & Call for Volunteers

Thin Rhino thinrhino at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:54:23 EDT 2016

On 4 November 2016 at 00:01, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:33 PM, Thin Rhino <thinrhino at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you Kushal for your email.
> >
> > a. The email you refer to sent in June 2016, even Chandan did not reply
> > suggestions given to him.
> > (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/PythonPune/SGqbgfgv6iA)
>
> There were only one positive reply along with venue suggestion. I know for
> sure
> that Chandan made contact with the people we know from COEP.

How in the world does, asking to get "PyCon India 2017" to Pune, translate
to organising "PyCon Pune 2017", an additional or parallel conference to
PyCon India?

> > b. Once the idea was followed up in Delhi, it was expected that somebody
> > would take the effort to update the community for the benefit of those
> not
> > present in Delhi.
>
> It was a work in progress raw idea we were floating about.  Why do you feel
> like we should be obliged to mail out every thought that we have before
> acting on it?

The raw idea some day did become firm, that your team went about finalising
a venue, dates and inviting people to give talks. And you never felt it was
necessary to inform the local or India community about your plans.

> > c. Call for volunteers was sent out only after most of the things were
> > finalised by a small group of people minus any feedback from the
> community.
> >

> I already wrote in my mail how we reached out to the developers, and at
> the same
> time asked for people to join in. To decide venue, and many other  details,
> it is not possible to wait for everyone to join in, and then discuss,
> and decide. We
> chose to fix a few problems of the conference as early as possible.

How did you reach out to developers? A CC email to the list would have
helped, right?

> > d. Constructive feedback would had come if somebody would have made an
> > effort of asking about it.
>
> We did, that was the call for volunteers and subsequent emails.  Over 100
> people responded and are pitching in. What additional effort do you expect
> make you a willing volunteer?  If it is reasonable we could try doing that
> but
> if you're expecting a participatory democracy, i.e. asking for opinions on
> every decision we take then that is not going to happen because of the
> latency in doing that. If you really want to be involved and not just
> complain then please volunteer, we would love to have more hands on board
> in every aspect of the event organization.

Nobody expects all decisions to be taken on the mailing list. I ain't that
naive. I too have organised large scale events for a few odd communities.
But in all those communities, idea's were pitched, suggestions / inputs
taken, and then with full clarity things were organised.

Why did PyDelhi pitch their idea first on InPyCon? They too could have
taken a stand you take and just gone about organising PyCon India and
directly announced PyCon India in Delhi.

Your logic is absolutely flawed.

You talked about planning on IRC channel, did anybody announce that a dead
IRC channel has become active? A quick google search for that showed me
this,
http://irc.netsplit.de/channels/details.php?room=%23pypune&net=freenode

I don't see the topic set to PyCon Pune!

--
"Ship is safe at harbor but it is not made for that."