[Inpycon] Announcing PyCon Pune 2017 & Call for Volunteers

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Wed Nov 2 23:35:44 EDT 2016

On , Gora Mohanty wrote:
[..]
> However, as someone higher up in the thread suggested, can we look for
> solutions rather than painting ourselves into intractable corners? The
> pragmatism of the Python community, and their inclusiveness, was what
> convinced me earlier to get involved at a time when I was quite
> strictly solely pro-open-source conferences. It is dismaying to see
> such acrimony. What would it take to fix this: a hangout session?

I'm game. Although I don't think it's unsolvable with just the mailing
list. Jaidev and Aditya are asking for some transparency into what's
going on. That's quite easily fixable by the people doing the work of
organising PyCon Pune.

A little historical note here. I used to advocate using the mailing list
for all discussions no matter how messy and chaotic it became. It worked
well for me and while some people found it overwhelming, lack of
transparency wasn't a big problem (atleast I think not). When the whole
affair grew, this bazaar style of doing things didn't really cut it for
many people and various other more focussed channels for discussing
things came up (e.g. junction for talk selections and reviews, a
contact at in.pycon.org mail alias etc.). This made things more efficient
but at the cost of less transparency.

I'm not sure what the way ahead is.