[Inpycon] [FEEDBACK] Call for Proposals || PyCon India 2016

Jaidev Deshpande deshpande.jaidev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 04:02:23 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Kracekumar Ramaraj <me at kracekumar.com>
wrote:

> I feel there is a place for both. In previous editions there were
> lightning talks of 10 minutes. Probably it's good idea to have brief talks
> for 20 minutes.

I think keeping talks of two different time durations won't be too helpful.
* It introduces the overhead of deciding which talk gets how much time.
That can only be done after a detailed discussion between the user and the
reviewers. Now this itself is a long shot since most people aren't too good
at following up on proposal feedback.
* Shorter talks are better for two reasons: if a talk is bad, the audience
doesn't suffer for too long, and if it is good, the speaker will know how
to make their impact even in 20 minutes.
* Shorter talks also allow us to include more talks, so everyone is happier.
* Lightning talks should be of five minutes. As it is, these talks are not
planned and speakers invariably overshoot their time bounds. So a ten
minute lightning talk will end up taking twelve to fifteen minutes.

Overall, if past experience is any indication, we, as a community, don't
have enough quality to drive the content for forty minute talks.

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 12:52 PM, mohd sanad zaki rizvi <
> mohdsanadzakirizvi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 for decreasing talk time from 40 to 20 minutes . It really becomes
>> cumbersome.
>> On Mar 23, 2016 3:37 AM, "Harsh Gupta" <gupta.harsh96 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The CFP page mentions duration of talks as 40 minutes. I remember having
>>> discussion at PyDelhi or BangPypers mailing list that 40 minutes talks are
>>> too long, too boring, shorter duration (20 minutes) talks will allow more
>>> people to speak and will force the speakers to keep things crisp. Can
>>> someone from the organizing team brief about reasons on the decision on
>>> duration of talks?
>>>
>>> On 23 March 2016 at 01:49, Peeyush Aggarwal <peeyushaggarwal94 at gmail.com

>>> --
>>> Harsh