[Inpycon] Suggestion on `associate` sponsorship for PyCon India

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:30:47 EDT 2016

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 at 15:07 qua non <akshayaurora at gmail.com> wrote:

> Due to popular demand, we are considering to add the slot of a associate
> sponsor that will be allowed to have their logo on website and in social
> media as a sponsor, for 50,000+ taxes.
>
> Please let us know of what you guys think of this.

I think it is a good move. It would be better to offer some more benefits
to the the associate slab. Let me explain my reasoning.

It has become very hard for startups and small businesses to participate in
the conference as the entry-level sponsorship, even considering the 50%
startup discount, is too high (close to 1.5L including taxes). Compared to
last year, both silver and gold sponsorship rates were raised by one lakh
and platinum by 1.5 lakh. In relative figures, silver was raised by 66.66%
and gold/platinum were raised by 33.33%, which was unfair to the silver
level.

IMHO, in addition to revenue generation, sponsorship is also a way to
engage with the companies interested in Python and connect them with the
community. So PyCon India should try to attract as many companies as
possible, by keep the barrier low and give them a space to showcase their
work and interact with the greater Python community. I strongly recommend
to reduce the reduce the price per slab and try to get more sponsors from
next year.

Now coming the associate slab, I don't think the companies will get enough
engagement just by putting their logo on the website and social media. They
probably need a physical space to showcase their work and interact with
people. It is not possible to give them a table as that is offered as part
of silver slab.

My suggestion is to have some kind of startup expo for an hour or so and
give a table to all the associate sponsors just for that one hour. We can
plan that around the evening tea break and make the break a little longer. US
PyCon used to have something like that when I've attended it couple of year
ago.

What do you think?

Anand