[Inpycon] Requesting a table for PSF

Fri Aug 19 03:22:56 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Anuvrat Parashar <anuvrat at anuvrat.in> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:20 AM, Anuvrat Parashar <anuvrat at anuvrat.in>
>> wrote:
>> > Hey
>> >
>> > Physical space be it tables or a booth is meant for sponsors. People who
>> > have paid, not to mention quite handsomely for the same. At least, this
>> > is
>> > the message all our communication / sponsorship brochures project.
>> >
>> > While there might be no harm in taking the "chalta hai" (everything
>> > goes)
>> > approach and setting up our PSF, PyDelhi, and BangPypers tables at the
>> > conference (I would love have one for PyDelhi) why give the sponsors an
>> > opportunity to crib about something? First such remark may come from
>> > Associate Sponsors who are not getting even a table.
>> >
>> > If we would like to do it, shall we  ensure that it gets included in the
>> > sponsorship brochures from the beginning itself and the sponsors know it
>> > upfront that the local / global Python Communities will be competing
>> > with
>> > them for the time and attention of people loitering between talks?
>> >
>> Sponsors are coming to a community event so that they can reach out to
>> bigger
>> community. That is exactly why every sponsor pays. The community groups on
>> the
>> other hand are coming to an event run by community for the community.
>> These
>> groups are not for profit company, and they are not trying to compete
>> in the market.
>

> Pardon me if the statement was not clear. The conference is providing the
> sponsors
> a platform where they can interact with the attendees. All the booths there
> would be
> competing with each other for the attention of the attendees "at the
> conference", not
> in the market. Which in their opinion, might dilute the value they expect.

This is a flawed understanding of the sponsorship model - and the flaw
has significant impact on how value proposition is described for a
prospective sponsor.

<https://www.python.org/psf/about/> "The mission of the Python
Software Foundation is to promote, protect, and advance the Python
programming language, and to support and facilitate the growth of
adiverse and international community of Python programmers."

The specific motivation for sponsor(s) to align themselves with the
event (this brings about a slight tangent around whether the
organization has an plans to involve the sponsor companies beyond the
event) is thus somewhat different than what PSF's presence could be
about.

Of course, the decision on whether to provide table space or, not to
PSF is that of the event organizers. There will be a significant set
of constraints and such to think about. To think about this - is there
a table space allocated for PSSI - to be staffed on all days?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>