[Inpycon] Python Express - Moving Forward

Haris Ibrahim K. V. blucalvin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 05:24:24 CEST 2015

On 24 July 2015 at 08:00, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Haris Ibrahim K. V. <blucalvin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I second this. It is natural for people to have a personal interest in
>>> projects where they might contribute more because they are passionate
>>> about it. I don't see that as a reason for discouraging anyone, and
>>> also especially since we all know the potential of something like
>>> Python Express.
>>>
>>> I think if Anand is interested in driving the project, then he should.
>>> Have a plan of action and then ask for volunteers. People who are
>>> interested in helping out will raise their hands.
>>>
>>> Also, following the thread, I still feel the distinction between the
>>> option1 and option2 that was made at the beginning is still unclear.
>>> What would anyone have to do differently if a Python project they are
>>> working passionately on needs to be branded as a PSSI project? And
>>> what benefits will that have? People (referred to as community) who
>>> want to help out will help out. Those "people" include the PSSI
>>> members, board members and interested volunteers.
>>>
>>> To add to that, it would seem PSSI has declared its support already in
>>> terms of helping out financially.
>>>
>>> What is the *actual* blocker here?
>>

>> The blocker I think is some people want it to be a PSSI project. What does
>> it mean is not very clear to me, but I'm very scared of that idea given the
>> past experiences.
>>
>> If you want to run a mini conference, PSSI requires you to write down a
>> detailed proposal, make sure you have great internet connectivity, write
>> down detailed budget plans and marketing plans. If you want to do workshops,
>> PSSI decides where to buy stickers.
>>
>> I don't understand why PSSI want to own and control things? Shouldn't it
>> just step aside, let diverse ideas evolve and support them whenever
>> possible?
>>
>> I want to focus on doing Python workshops. Not on debating 2 days about
>> where to buy stickers. I say "I" because I'm committing my time. If people
>> think that hijacking I can't help.
>

> To put it in other words, IMHO it requires lot of decentralization to make
> the Python Express project succeed and scale. PSSI, so far has been trying
> to make central decisions and keep control of everything it does.
>
> I just don't think Python Express can succeed in the shade of PSSI.

As much as I think PSSI's attitude should be "Hey, you seem to be
doing some nice Python community work, can we help in any way to make
it better?", I believe there is a good reason why PSSI has the current
structure in place. It must have come from the concerned policy
makers' experience in dealing with people face to face on-ground, and
as such, I wouldn't blame it.

Having said that, I don't think *some people* wanting it to be a PSSI
project is a real blocker for you to proceed, Anand. Is it?

I see the current situation as more or less like how Bangpypers
evolved last year when Krace took personal interest in it and scaled
it up. There needn't be discussions for every topic of workshops, or
every company where it is being hosted each month. That'll be very
weary.

So I think what would be best now is for you to start executing. I am
sure every project will have its share of supporters and opposers, for
whatever reason.

--
Haris Ibrahim K. V.
http://sosaysharis.wordpress.com