[Inpycon] Python Express - Moving Forward

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 20:28:59 CEST 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this email to see what people think of reviving the Python
Express project.

http://pythonexpress.in/

For those who are new here, let me start with an introduction to Python
Express.

WHAT IS PYTHON EXPRESS?

Python Express is platform to make it easier to coordinate and conduct
Python workshops in educational institutions across India. It connects
colleges and Python exports for conducting Python trainings.

It is a community project and completely managed by volunteers.

HISTORY

It started as Python Month[1] as part of PyCon India 2013. In 2014, it
evolved into Python Express with the idea of running the workshops through
out the year[2].

Unfortunately, the project got of paused due to misunderstanding and
miscommunication between various people.

I think it is time to keep all the differences aside and start planning
what to do next.

[1]: https://in.pycon.org/2013/python-month/
[2]: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/inpycon/2014-July/008235.html

THE POTENTIAL

We've conducted around 200 Python workshops in about 2 months as part of
Python Month in 2013.

Can we do 1000 workshops in an year? Why not 10,000?

If we build the right support structures and improve the process, I'm sure
we'll be able to reach there.

It is not yet clear what is required to reach there. Probably we need
volunteers to coordinate each college, each city etc.

Just conducting Python workshops is not enough. We need to make sure it is
good quality. We may have to provide resources and/or trainings to the
first time trainers.

If we conduct one Python workshop, some of the participants gets excited,
but that excitement will die off soon. We need to engage them for longer
term for any real impact. We need more discussion about this.

OTHER NEWS

People at Python Ireland got very interested about Python Express and they
have forked the repo and planning to use it for conducting workshops there.
Thanks to Haris Ibrahim for introducing it to them.

WHAT NEXT?

How do we take this forward?

Option 1 - Let Python Express run as a PSSI project

That means that the important decisions about the project will be discussed
and decided by the PSSI board.

Option 2 - Let Python Express evolve as independent community project

This means Python Express can make decisions freely, move fast and have the
luxury of making mistakes once in a while. Also much easier to manage if we
need to spend some money.

I'm very much in favour of #2 because that gives lot more freedom for the
project to evolve.

What do you think?

Anand