[Inpycon] Webfaction sponsoring server to python India community

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 15:18:18 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Saurabh Kumar <thes.kumar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 5:26 PM, vignesh <vignesh.sarma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Another alternate is to host all our static sites on github, For example
>> I have setup bangalore.python.org.in at banglore.python.hittaruki.info
>> hosted on github here
>> https://github.com/vigneshsarma/bangalore.python.org.in.
>>

> ​+1 ​
>

>> One of the issues we have to address here is that, the pages need to be
>> generated and pushed to github. This need to be done each time a new post
>> is added. We can try to automate it.
>>

> ​This can be easily done using travis integration. Checkout my .travis.yml​
>
> ​[1] as an example. It deploys to gh-pages everytime an update is made to
> master branch.
>
> [1] https://github.com/theskumar/blog/blob/master/.travis.yml#L21-L28

Using travis to build static site is a neat hack.

I had built a small tool to build the static site on git push and used it
for bangalore.python.org.in and python.org.in website.

https://github.com/anandology/pipages

Except from hosting a site on a server in india, it doesn't have any other
benefits compared to github-pages.

+1 for github-pages.

Anand