[Inpycon] Video Management in PyCon India 2015

Kiran Jonnalagadda jace at pobox.com
Thu Feb 19 13:54:00 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM, vijay kumar <vnbang2003 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>Video quality is good. The one question is mixing .
>     I recall he said us in call he will do live mixing . Will double check.

That requires a matrix video switcher with picture-in-picture capability. A
HD/P-i-P switcher costs 4 lakhs at the low-end and typical daily rental is
5-10% of retail price, so that's Rs 20-40k per day for the switcher alone.
That's definitely not what you are getting at 40k per day overall.

Instead, it will be an SD switcher that does PAL/NTSC resolutions, so you
are going to be downsampling the presenter's screen from 1024x768 down to
about 720x480. At that resolution, you can read slides with large fonts,
but not code.

Also, capture cards are mostly HDMI these days, so this SD switcher can't
take input from a capture card. It will be a camera pointing at the screen
and the quality will be horrible.

One of the reasons HD switchers are so expensive is that HD means multiple
things: 720 vs 1080 pixels, interlaced vs progressive, and 50 fps vs 60
fps. That's six different combinations, and the switcher needs to be able
to consume any two and output to a third. 1080p 60fps is desirable, but
you'll usually have to settle for 720p 25fps to keep it affordable.

The HasGeek process uses a desktop computer instead of a hardware switcher.
The downside is that video has a lag (150-650 ms) and is not suitable for
playing back live, but the costs are a fraction. I'm yet to find a video
vendor who's worked out this approach, even though it seems so obvious in
retrospect.

If this vendor has figured it out, that is great news, but it doesn't look
like it judging from the FuConf videos.

Kiran

--
Kiran Jonnalagadda