[Inpycon] Keynote speaker for PyCon India 2015

Noufal Ibrahim KV noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Sat Apr 18 19:58:29 CEST 2015

On Sat, Apr 18 2015, vijay kumar wrote:

[...]

> If he is ready to come down and cost is been managed. why not him ?

Because I'm looking at it like a customer. From a purely "profit"
perspective. If I spend X amount of money and I can get (say) Armin or I
can get Senthil, I'd pick Armin and I think the conference here would be
the better for it. I'd wager that more people here would be interested
in hearing Armin rather than Senthil speak.

> I think better take it offline as we should not be discussing all this
> publicly?

Why?  None of this is to demean Senthil or his work.  It's not a
personal attack to -1 a suggested keynote speaker.

My point is as follows.
1. The keynote speaker is an important part of the event and is used to
   advertise it.

2. If we are going to spend money (regardless of how it's been managed)
   to get a keynote speaker from abroad, we have a large pool to select
   from starting from Guido. Senthil is not the first choice.

3. I don't think there's any rule carved in stone that we need an Indian
   speaker and if there is, we should get someone from here rather than
   someone from abroad.

--
Cordially,
Noufal