[Inpycon] Lightning Talks @ Pycon India

Shrayas rajagopal shrayasr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 11:22:37 CEST 2014

> Having an approval process is good to ensure that the topics are
> relevant for the conference. But the approval process would have to be
> lightning quick, for the attendees to get enough time to vote on the
> approved list. So the approvers have to be selected ahead, and be ready
> to review as the proposals come in.
>
> - rejy (rmc)

> Would prefer keeping it open and let it become a platform for budding
speakers to talk to crowd. At max people will end up tolerating someone for
5 minutes.
> - sree

> +1 I'm for keeping lightning talks completely open and without any
approval process.

> Arvi

​I in no way was suggesting that we make it an approval based process. Was
remarking that US PyCon does it that way. I am all for doing it on the
spot! Like discussed, it is just 5 minutes. Can live through it if it gets
boring.

What I meant when I said we could borrow ideas is that we could borrow
ideas from the way they've organized the Open Spaces :)

> I support the idea of mainly online, but a planned offline method. A
funnel is easy browse, and easier to vote compared to a solution built on
google forms.

> Personally I think most of the folks who come with have a smartphone to
check the funnel without wifi or will be with someone who can do that or in
the worst case find someone who can do that for them. We can have a machine
near regn desk providing access to funnel to check schedule if required,
right?
> --
> Regards,
> Jaseem Abid

For using the funnel we need to wait for Anand to get back to us regd. info
on if the funnel can support a reduced set of inputs.

I liked rmc's idea of a manned kiosk along with Arvi's idea of a shared
Google calendar. That way registration of a talk, voting, etc is assured
and so is publishing the schedule for the participants.