[Inpycon] Talks in PyCon India (was Re: Development Sprints)

Arvi Krishnaswamy arvi at alumni.iastate.edu
Fri Oct 17 13:48:58 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Anand B Pillai <anandpillai at letterboxes.org
> wrote:

> Topic Reset - this started as Development Sprints but seem to
> bifurcate to Talks and Quality of talks - Forking another thread for it.

​Related to the comments made by others but slightly at a tangent:

​Right now, Pycon is a 3 day conference. 1 day of workshops + 2 days of
conference.

Have we ever considering making that a 4 day conference: 1 day of workshops
+ 3 days of conference?  For instance, Pycon US is I think 2 days of
workshops + 3 days of conference.

I'm not saying that we should - just asking if this was considered, and
trying to understand the tradeoffs.

This could potentially provide us the flexibility to spread out the themes
over 3 days, and better cater to beginner/intermediate/advanced  or tracks
like scipy/web/core/tools instead of the mish mash we currently have.
 (This will a whole separate discussion to figure out what makes sense)

This may also provide additional time at the venue for running a dev sprint
as the other thread had suggested.

We may no longer need to be as bothered about the numbers - we may have
1500+ registrations all in all, but a more manageable number attending on
each day, for whom we can provide a better experience.

So what are the tradeoffs involved here?  Some that I could think of:
- Cost of venue for an additional day
- Volunteer fatigue over multiple days
- Possibly more admin if ticketing is split out by day (may be more
flexible for participants)
- Additional logistics to manage
- Schedule has to line up and make sense for this approach, or else it is
overkill

Thoughts?

-A