[Inpycon] Development Sprints

Arvi Krishnaswamy arvi at alumni.iastate.edu
Wed Oct 15 13:36:00 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Anand B Pillai <anandpillai at letterboxes.org
> wrote:

> every year". This is wrong. It should be about being more inclusive
> every year - having the right mix of talks to attract a varied audience.

​The challenge is that I dont see the conference currently becoming more
inclusive every year. I could be wrong, but from what I see, certain groups
are dropping off and it's now mostly beginners. 80% of the audience raised
their hands during the keynote to say they were attending for the first
time. ​And I also didnt the large number of students who attended in 2013
return this year. I think definitions of inclusive may vary, but to do that
we need to make deliberate choices to provide for the target audience that
we care about. I dont think anyone wants to exclude beginners. However,
we're talking about moving from the current ratio of 10:10:80
(expert:intermediate:beginner) to maybe (20:30:50). The rank beginners to
Python would also be welcome, but urged to instead attend pyexpress.

When one says "raising the bar", I think there is a tendency to
> confuse it with "complex topics". I don't think this is the case. For
> example, there might be interesting things to talk about even in the
> Python core library in PyCon - so if someone proposes an interesting
> talk on say this topic - it could be looked into considering other
> aspects and not thrown away just cuz it looks commonplace.
>
> I personally felt this confusion was present in this year's talk
> selection.

I agree with you, but I didnt think this was the case this year. I felt
that the talk selection committee looked out for topics that were original
even if they were not complex. As an example, we had talks like Medusa from
a college kid that were popular and good examples of work that was unique
but not complex. So, I'm curious now - could you provide more specifics? ​

> However, I agree we need to improve the conference "recall" - the
> stickiness of people who attend it to feel coming back for next year.
> And not just because of the Food ;)

​Yes :) Good food is good, but if that's what people remember a conference
for, we're missing something :)
​