[Inpycon] Development Sprints

Noufal Ibrahim KV noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Wed Oct 15 12:50:51 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 15 2014, Abhaya Agarwal wrote:

[...]

> +1 but we need to be wary of the criteria we employ. Taking an extreme
> example, disallowing students would also reduce the number of first timers
> and beginners significantly but it is not a good criteria to use (not to
> mention impossible to enforce).

I'm completely against setting criteria for an audience. I'm saying we
structure it so that it attracts people of a certain kind.

> The conference has two sets of people - presenters and audience. An
> experienced/advanced presenters would want a matching audience that
> can provide feedback. But this expectation is not hampered by the
> presence of inexperienced audience, only by the absence of experienced
> ones.

Valid point.

> The impression of the conference is formed primarily by the presenters.
> Complaint about the Pycon has not been that people didn't meet other
> interesting people. Complaint is that the talks were lacking.
>
> So I think we should be raising the bar for the presenters. Which will
> in turn lead to self selection of audience as well (with a delay of
> one year).

Yes. That was the gist of my earlier email. To atleast try, for a year,
to make it a conference for serious users of Python rather than a
gathering of first timers whose needs, and I mention this again, are
better served by first timer workshops like the ones by in Python express.

> Also the correlation between a passionate Python user and the fact
> that he can make it to a conference on Friday is tenuous at best. :)

If there's a solid event whose date/price is inconvenient for me, I'd
make plans early to attend. If it's cheap (price and quality wise), I'd
be fine missing it. That was my point.

[...]

--
Cordially,