[Inpycon] Venue suggestion for PyCon India 2015

Jaseem Abid jaseemabid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 22:46:18 CEST 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 07 2014, vijay kumar wrote:
>

> [...]
>
> >if we get more advance talk submissions we can think about it.  This
> >year we just got 2 advance talk and we had selected both of them.  We
> >had discussed with all sponsors to request tech lead/Architect of their
> >organisations to submit advance talk during PyCon India.  Hope this
> >will work If any other idea please share.
> [...]
>
> That might help but I don't think it's enough.
>
> The point is to project PyCon India as an event which is for advanced
> high quality talks. Motivated beginners are welcome but it's not a
> newbie conference.

I agree. I agree to every bit of it. I copy paste this and send it again as
my
own opinion.

Am I the only one who thinks that 60% newbies at a conference is a bad
thing?
Are we even thinking about why folks who attended last year didn't come this
year?

I am of the opinion that there are infinite resources out there to learn
python
fundamentals and PyCon being projected as a place to come and learn how to
write
Python `hello world` is a bad thing. There are much fewer places to learn
how to
handle load on a python server after a million users or how bad the GIL
really
is. Make PyCon a place for people who do real work with Python to come
forward
and learn and discuss, and not another learning resource. We have among all
the
things, Python Express for that.

The reason why I volunteered for open spaces this year was to make such
discussions happen and it sadly eventually led to another whole lot of
introduction to X and Y, except one or 2 good ones, which I'm happy about.
We
had too few talks and discussions about interesting things. I was literally
craving for someone to come up with a talk like 'Why stackless is bloody
cool'.
It didn't happen and I'm sad about it. There was nothing about core python.
There was no rip python apart session, or 'this simple library you can
contribute to' session showing code. *In my very humble opinion, that is
what
adds real value to conferences, not teaching python to another 1000 folks,
who
wont use it themselves ever again*. I'm not making this up, now we are in a
situation where experienced folks don't come because its too newbie stuff
and
newbies don't come because they don't know Python already.

Quoting Noufal, I'm all in for making "PyCon India [..] an event which is
for
advanced high quality talks"

> --
> Cordially,