[Inpycon] Venue suggestion for PyCon India 2015

Haris Ibrahim K. V. blucalvin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 13:37:03 CEST 2014

On 7 October 2014 14:40, Arvi Krishnaswamy <arvi at alumni.iastate.edu> wrote:
> How about a smaller space with capacity for 600-700 people max?  A more
> focused Pycon that isn't trying to be everything for everyone with 1500
> people :) I vote for staying at Nimhans but improving the quality of the
> event for its core audience. Let beginner level sessions and training happen
> via python express throughout the year. Quite honestly, I'm not sure I will
> attend if we have 1500 next year :)

>From the discussion that has been going on regarding this idea, I
think this is the perfect excuse for a well planned, focused MiniConf.
While Python Express and Local meetups can cater to the beginner crowd
(only to an extent. As it has already been said, local meetup groups
have their own growth plans), and the MiniConf can cater to the
advanced crowd, PyCon India should be the place where everyone meets.

I believe a MiniConf would make sense for this since we have already
seen that the advanced sessions being proposed are less in comparison.

As Krace pointed out, advanced talks != talk quality. PyCon India's
talk qualities can, and should improve. That does not mean alienating
any part of the community, let them be beginners or veterans.

> In any case, we've gone by the "everything for everyone" approach for 5
> years now. I'm saying, let's try the other route and see if it works
> better. If yes, we'll stick to it, if no, we'll come back to the current
> approach. No gain without experiment.

Absolutely. But instead of experimenting on a huge project that has
shown consistent improvement over the years, let's take it slow, and
try it on a smaller scale to gauge the demand and acceptance.

Cheers,

--
Haris Ibrahim K. V.
http://sosaysharis.wordpress.com