[Inpycon] [X-Post] Diversity

Rejy M Cyriac rcyriac at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 17:18:53 CET 2014

On 11/18/2014 08:28 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is regarding diversity group organized by PSSI.
>
> I have been actively volunteering for PyCon India from past 3 years and
> I see the female python developers participation getting reduced year by
> year. This was one of the concern PSSI had discussed during the AGM.
>
> PSSI has come up with the initiative, diversity, where we all female
> developers can share and discuss to see how we can improve the active
> participation from female developers. If we have any
> concerns/expectations, PSSI can help us the way they can.
>
> We have the mailing list
> (http://lists.pssi.org.in/mailman/listinfo/diversity) created. This
> mailing list only for female pythonistas and the archives are not public
> so the discussions are kept private.

Does a move targeted towards ensuring diversity need a female exclusive
list ? That would imply that the presence of male developers is the
factor that currently keeps away female developers, and that male
developers cannot play a role in encouraging more female developers to
come to the mainstream.

I do understand the need for a separate list to stay focussed on the
objective, but discriminating against gender on that list may be counter
productive to the objective, in my opinion.

- rejy (rmc)