[Inpycon] Initiative for mini conferences across India

Vinay Dahiya vinay.not.nice at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:35:45 CEST 2014

I totally agree with Vijay here. I have seen in the NCR python user
group itself that people don't feel that going to Bangalore is worth
it for PyCon even though they love python. So initiative's like this
are required so that we can find more bases to host PyCon in India.
More over i think Delhi NCR have enough people that can help in
organizing such an event they just need some exposure from where they
can take it ahead.

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM, vijay kumar <vnbang2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was thinking from long time on the concerns we are facing in PyCon India.
> I think we should concentrate to solve these issues as it might be hindrance
> to our growth in upcoming years.
>
> We don’t have enough Volunteer base for PyCon India in cities other than
> Bangalore and we are restricted to conduct conference in Bangalore. Though
> there are potential people who can take this forward they don’t have enough
> experience in organizing an event like PyCon India and it requires
> contribution from lot more people and we need good volunteer base.
>
> To maintain the quality of talks in PyCon India we have previous experience
> as one of our selection criteria. But there may be speakers who are
> technically solid but he would not have experience presenting it to a good
> number of audience becuase of which his talk might not get selected.
>
> I think it would be a better idea to conduct one day mini conference in
> different cities across India to provide solution to the concerns.
>
> Please find my inputs below on the same.
>
> We can look for a chair person in each city who are willing to take
> responsibility to organize a conference which in turn will help them
> understand what it takes to organize an event like PyCon India.
> These conferences will provide platform to new speakers and also others to
> showcase their talent so they can prepare themselves well for PyCon India.
> To start with, we can have a day event in a college so that we don’t need to
> bare the venue expense and we would get an opportunity to create awareness
> about Python and create volunteer base.
> The registration fee and the sponsorship amount may be considerably less
> just to manage the food expense.
> If in a city they are not able to get considerable number of sponsors ,PSSI
> can share considerable amount to help organize the event.
> If we don’t have enough speakers in a local user group, PSSI can help them
> get a speaker from other cities and provide their travel expense if
> required.
>

> Overall it helps PyCon India to create awareness and build strong volunteer
> base across India.
>
> Let me know your thoughts on the same.
>
> Thanks,
> Vijay