[Inpycon] Open spaces & Lightning Talks

Jaseem Abid jaseemabid at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 11:36:32 CEST 2014

Hello all,

Went through the thread again, had some chat on #pyconindia at freenode.
Here is the summary and things that need to be done. Should make this
into a blog so that attendees know what it is all about and will make
good use of things.

* What are open spaces and what do we want out of it?

   An open area where people can collaborate/learn things in groups
   and have small flash talks. A smaller group generally leads to a
   lot more discussions, encourages the audience ask more questions
   and keep things lively.

* Things to do at an open space.

    + Flash talks (10m max)
    + Code reading. Pick up a FOSS and start. An experienced hacker
      can take a group along for a quick intro.
    + A mini hackathon? - Indradhanush Gupta
    + Bug squashing sprint sounds awesome! - Indradhanush Gupta
    + Round table hacking
    + *Rejected talk proposals* - Krace

* Things for us volunteers to do.

    + Need a simple way for people to know what is going on. Details
      below.

    + Krace said,
      1. Publicize in web site, schedule and mailing list.
      2. Announce in social media and send open session notes to all
         participants and rejected talk proposers.
      3. Make announcement about open sessions during breaks and
         have sign board for open session.

    + Shrayas was ready to announce etc.

* Available venues

  + First floor - we need to arrange a lot of tables there.
  + Audi 3 (Capacity ~80 I think)

* Communication/ Scheduling

  _How do we let people know what is happening and where?_

  + How about using something like trello for this? We could have
    lists for every open space spot, and anyone who likes to give a
    talk simply puts a card in there with the required details (topic,
    a small description). The interested people could reply on the
    card itself and could get something arranged. - Shrayas on mailing
    list

  + The same idea, but offline with stickies. Picture shared by Bibhas.

http://www.globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/barcamp-grid-1.jpg

  + Come to think of it, it really isn't necessary to have designated
    places for these sessions, we really only need a way to *connect*
    the interested speaker to the people who want to listen to
    him/her - Shrayas

  + Google calender. We could do this along with trello

  + IRC. That will happen anyway.

  + Twitter.

* Volunteers

   - I <Jaseem jaseemabid at gmail.com> can take lead. Would love to get
     more volunteers :)
   - Shrayas?
   - Vipin <swvist at gmail.com>

* Food for thought

   + How can we make it more attractive? - Anand

   + Most of the group interactions happen either on the stairs or the
     first floor. I couldn't go to audi 3 last year, so not sure what
     happened there - <bibhas>

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Jaseem Abid <jaseemabid at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Shrayas rajagopal <shrayasr at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How about using something like trello for this? We could have lists for
>> every open space spot, and anyone who likes to give a talk simply puts a
>> card in there with the required details (topic, a small description). The
>> interested people could reply on the card itself and could get something
>> arranged.
>>

> I don't mind trello, as long as we are not forcing it on people. We need
> public boards. We can have an offline version of the same in a prominent
> space.
>

>>  Come to think of it, it really isn't necessary to have designated
>> places for these sessions, we really only need a way to *connect* the
>> interested speaker to the people who want to listen to him/her.
>>

> True that.

Jaseem Abid
github.com/jaseemabid