[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

Vivek Varghese Cherian vivekcherian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 21:36:39 CEST 2013

>          People come here and do all that stuff that you have said,
> *only* because they love  python. From my interaction with some of the
> speakers - They were delighted to give a talk and had no problems
> about paying to attend the conference. The conference doesn't comprise
> of "just" their talk. Expecting a free entry just because some one is
> a speaker seems strange to me. Thanks

Pseudo community conferences (which are done to promote individuals like
Atul Chitnis) like FOSS.in had that model of giving speakers privileges
like a
special speakers cabin where speakers could only enter and all that apart
from free passes for them.

I had volunteered for FOSS.in once in 2006 and I had Mr Shreyas Srinivasan
one
of Mr. Atul Chitin’s chelas come to me at the end of the conference and
tell me that
inspite of me being a volunteer they saw me wear a 'organisers badge'. I
pretty knavishly
pointed to my badge telling him that I was just a volunteer. Later did I
realise he was telling
me "Don't try in act smart in Atul Chtinis's team's personal conference"

In Pycon 2013, I saw Konark Modi for example run around for multiple event
organisation stuff
and also gave a talk and he managed to do both with ease. Just pointing out
a name as an example
not trying to promote anyone.

Konark can you enlighten Atul Jha if you did pay the conference fee in full
?

This was my first Pycon and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it and this
is undoubtedly
the best FOSS community conference I have attended thus far my career
spanning 11+ years.

Btw, I was a volunteer for Pycon 2013, and I did not find any
speaker/volunteer/delegate divide.
I even shelled out an additional Rs 1500/- to attend one of the OpenStack
workshops and even helped
the speakers from ileanstack conduct the workshop better as I was already
an OpenStack expert.
Nobody needed to prompt me as a volunteer to help the speakers, it just
came out instinctively as I
found out an area where I could add value to the conference by what skills
I already had.

So the point I am making is how to volunteer and to what extend you need to
volunteer is open to
a delegate. All delegates should have equal privileges be them
delegates/speakers/organisers/volunteers
and every one should be charged the same fee.

So congratulations to the organisers of Pycon 2013 for a work well done and
also to you Mr Atul Jha for organising
those wonderful OpenStack meetups all over India along with other
volunteers :) . Let's not turn this into an OpenStack
Meetup Model vs Pycon model war.

PS: I forgot to add earlier that I also did the speaker announcement for
Konark Modi also as Radha who was in charge of
the hall had to leave early that day, and thanks also to Anand Pillai for
dropping me back at my hotel after the last day of
the conference  :-)

Vivek Varghese Cherian (विवेक वर्गीस चेरियान)