[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

atul jha koolhead17 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 16:10:39 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM, atul jha <koolhead17 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>wrote:
>>
>>> Kiran Jonnalagadda <jace at pobox.com> writes:
>>>

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I wasn't aware of that.

>>> <snip>
>>
>>>  There's still gap in the communication. Anand told me about one or two
>>> speakers who were annoyed that they had to pay even though their talks
>>> were selected.
>>>
>> </snip>
>>

>>> [...]
>>>

>>> --
>>> Cordially,
>>> Noufal
>>> http://nibrahim.net.in
>>>

>> Who & why was it decided to charge fees for volunteers and speakers?
>>

> There was a discussion in this mailing list when we decided the fee and
> the tiers. Where were you then?

Well do you want to start it all again?

>> Is it because sponsorship money not sufficient? Is there any blog/mail
>> provides description/info about the overall expenditure of the event?
>>
>> If money is real issue please get a new sponsorship model in place which
>> handles entry fee payments for speakers and volunteers specifically.
>>

> I don't see the point. No volunteer has complained that he has a problem
> with paying the fee. Some student volunteers have explicitly asked us and
> we've made couple of exceptions.
>
> Well why can`t you make it loud and clear so more of such gets along.

>  Again, the problem with the speakers was not about paying the money, but
> the lack of the communication about that. Some speakers were surprised at
> the last minute because they weren't aware that they have to pay the fee.
>
> I was one of them too.

> I think we should respect the opinions of the people who have managed the
> volunteers and handled the speakers than suggesting hypothetical issues
> without any base. It is not very good use of the time on this mailing list.

Well its all your prospective of seeing things. I can`t help it.

>  When most of the volunteers are students & some speakers as well. Some
>> of them are coming from other part of country & planning stay/food on their
>> own. Can we not do best by giving them entry to the event?
>>

> How do you know that most of the volunteers are students? I've worked very
> closely with volunteers this year and I haven't heard any complaints from
> them. There are even some volunteers who have just sit in the network room
> all the three days of the conference, making sure the network/registration
> desk working fine, and some of them were students. When they were very
> happy to pay the fee themselves, I don't see an point of discussing about
> it.
>
> Well am waiting for Kiran`s blog as he mentioned before mentioning
everything about the event from expenditure to participation.

 Comparing an Indian event with event in US  & following with same
>> footprint does not go well here.
>>
>> An event with focus on Indian crowd should be handled in Indian way.
>>

> Well, I've started this thread not with the intention of blindly following
> that model, but because that post has explained a model that *we have been*
> following since beginning and I strongly believe that it very good model to
> continue.
>
> It would have been a lot more productive if you had come in couple of
> months earlier and helped in shaping the event. Lot of these decisions have
> come out of the collective wisdom of running PyCon India over years and
> closely observing it grow. I'm sure you'll have a better understanding
> about the whole thing once you see it closely. Hope to see you at PyCon
> India 2014.
>
> Well waiting for it before 2014 event not going to help.
Today its me that time some else come with same. Why can`t we fix it now?

> Anand

Atul

www.atuljha.com

irc(freenode) : koolhead17