[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

atul jha koolhead17 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 14:28:28 CEST 2013

Anand,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Anand B Pillai <anandpillai at letterboxes.org
> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 September 2013 05:21 PM, atul jha wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Noufal Ibrahim
> > <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>wrote:
> >
> >> atul jha <koolhead17 at gmail.com> writes:
> >>

> >> [...]
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> This is getting pointlessly tiresome.
> >>
> >> Indeed.
> >

> >> Most of the people *do* think this way and that's why PyCon India
> >> has been conducted for 5 years now and has grown into a big
> >> event. People pitch in when there's a call for volunteers and
> >> help out.
> >>
> >> If you're accusing me or someone else on the list about
> >> something, come clean and say exactly what the problem is.
> >>
> >> Read your previous mails & you will realize.
> >
> >> If you think I and a few others run a secret cabal here that
> >> pulls strings and runs PyCon India while blackballing the general
> >> community, say so.
> >>
> > Its how you assumed.
> >

> >> If you're dissatisfied with the way something is being organised,
> >> or see some kind of scope for improvement, specify exactly what
> >> and pitch in at any time. Knowing how short handed we always are,
> >> no one here refuses help.
> >>
> >> Is that what i was not doing in this mail thread?
> >
> >> If you expect everyone to accept your (rather naive)
> >> recommendations without questioning them, I'm sorry, that's not
> >> going to happen. People who've been on this list for a while know
> >> who are doing all the work and whose suggestions are backed by
> >> action.
> >>
> > Well does that means if someone new coming to list with some ideas
> > he is an outsider? All your replies points same way.
>
> Let me put it this way. E-mails are not the best medium for keeping up
> a continuous conversation. Mailing lists are especially notorious for
> fragmenting a line of discussion - because you tend to loose your
> original line of thought as threads come in from the side etc.
>
> Anway I am digressing.
>
> The thing is, let us face it - People are reluctant to change. So
> perhaps a good way to try and change the thinking or introduce new
> ideas is a "gentle nudge" rather than a "forceful entry".
> I hope I am making sense.
>
> The most ideal way to build a productive conversation would be
> to start presenting your idea using the approach of least resistance.
>
> (Suffer me a bit more.)
>
> If you look back to your first post, you started off by
>
> "
> Who & why was it decided to charge fees for volunteers and speakers?
>
> Is it because sponsorship money not sufficient? Is there any blog/mail
> provides description/info about the overall expenditure of the event?
> "
>
> Not very diplomatic I think.
>
> Am not sure if it requires to be diplomatic if its about a community where
everyone is welcome to ask/participate in loud/open.

>  >

> >> The bottom line is if you have something constructive to say, do
> >> so. If you have time to pitch in, do so. If you want to criticise
> >> something about the conference or PSSI work, do so. If, on the
> >> other hand, all you're interested in is hurling accusations at
> >> people and making a ruckus, just don't.
> >>
> >> Well now you are talking about PSSI. All this while it was <U>
> > Am happy something is changing.
>
> Sure, maybe you are. We do need inputs, ideas and suggestions but
> for the general good environment of the mailing list and to make sure
> your ideas are recieved positively, may I suggest "gentle nudges"
> and "incremental suggestions" than "in-your-face-questions" ?
>
> I am not sure but this works well most of the time if you are in a
community with OPEN participation.

> Hope I was helpful.

Thanks for letting me know how i should start my conversation in order to
be heard by the folks from this community & PCCI/Pycon organizers in
general. I am happy Kiran/You/Sankarshan addressed some of it.

I would hope all this conversation leads to some final conclusion.

> > --
> >> Cordially, Noufal http://nibrahim.net.in

> - --
> Regards,