[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

Vinayak Hegde vinayakh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:59:07 CEST 2013

+1 Kiran has said it better than I could.
+1 to Everyone pays.
+100 to the fact almost all money from sponsors should be redirected
towards sponsoring non-Pycon or allied activities such as running satellite
events in other cities, sponsoring Python Month (or similar activities) or
running code sprints (talk is cheap, show us the code). The conference
should not depend on the sponsor for the long-term health of the community.

I would add to the two points that Kiran has made :

1. Value

See the amount of value that you get from being a participant, speaker or
volunteer. You connect with other like-minded people and work with them.
You learn something new or ways of doing things better (something that can
be monetized by doing a job better or raising your skills or just the joy
of hacking). Now factor in the fact that you will be eating food at the
venue (breakfast + lunch + tea).

As a speaker, you get to talk about what you learn and generally the
off-stage conversations are good. You also get recognition from the
community and  put it on your resume. Also there used to be a
speaker/volunteer party (not sure if this happened this year since I was
neither).

If you think that INR 800 is not good enough for it (honestly even students
can afford this - the cost of two movies or two meals in a good
restaurant), maybe you should not come to the event. Don't think of it as a
cost, think of it as vote from a community member for things worth doing.

2. Management overheads

All the sane opinions that I have heard on this thread are from people who
have actually run an event. All of the people running the events have lives
and day-jobs. Time spent on the event is time away from job / family / kids
/ other hobbies / side projects. So time is at a premium. By saying that
you should have special rules for categories of people (which require human
interface to deal with), you are dissing them by implicitly assuming that
their time is less valuable than the participants. It is actually the other
way round. The only difference is that these people are motivated to make a
difference.

IMNSHO, there should be just two categories of tickets
1. Early geek tickets - So that money is paid upfront to fund things that
need upfront capex such as video equipment / RFID cards / Venue booking
cost etc. This should be capped at some %age of venue capacity (such as
30%). Maybe these have a small discount say 10%.
2. Normal tickets - Rest of the tickets.

No refunds but allow people to transfer tickets amongst themselves without
involvement from conf organisers. No on-the-spot registration. Pay only by
card / Debit card etc. This might seem controversial but in today day and
age it is possible to find someone with a card who can pay for you.

Keep it Simple Stupid.

-- Vinayak