[Inpycon] Everybody Pays Policy

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Mon Sep 23 10:13:18 CEST 2013

On Monday 23 September 2013 10:39 AM, sankarshan wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Anand Chitipothu
> <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://jessenoller.com/blog/2011/05/25/pycon-everybody-pays
>
> this states:
>
> "So, how does "everybody pays" play into this? In two ways. First,
> it helps hedge our risk, institutionally speaking. PyCon had a
> good/bad year in 2009 - good for the attendees, but horrendously
> bad financially. We made various commitments in 2008 just as the
> markets were peaking, and we lost a lot of money when everything
> went south. Since then, it has been our budget policy to make sure
> that our revenues will cover our hard costs even if there is a 15%
> dip in attendance and a 35% dip in sponsorship.
>
> Second, you may have guessed that the "everybody pays" policy
> allows us to pad the financial aid budget. This has the direct
> benefit of bringing more people to the conference, increasing the
> diversity of people attending, getting a larger proportion of the
> community together, etc."
>
>> At this year's PyCon India, some speakers were upset that they
>> have to pay for the conference. I think we should make this point
>> very clear from the beginning.
>
> In light of the above quote, why were speakers upset that they have
> to pay?

This article was written a while ago but was highlighted recently
when there were a few tweets about it. Also we don't officially
follow PSF policy blindly and make our own policies.

I think as we were not clear and forthright on this as PSF
was, there was a thinking that speakers need not pay. We have had
some discussions in the past on such lines, so to me it
is not surprising that there was such a feeling.

Please note that PSSI is an independent organization with its
own policies - we definitely use PSF policies as guidelines and
references but don't automatically subscribe to them. I hope
this is very clear.

- --
Regards,

- --Anand