[Inpycon] PyCon India Website for 2014

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Fri Oct 18 05:11:55 CEST 2013

On 17 October 2013 22:30, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> -1
>
> There are four things involved in making the website.
>
> 1. Artwork for the website (logo, footer images, other icons etc.)
> 2. The visual design of the website (layout, colors etc.)
> 3. Implementation (software for rendering pages, browser testing, support for mobile devices)
> 4. Content
>
> I think 1 and 2 are very close and can't be separated. I don't think it makes sense to design a logo without knowing the color scheme that we are going to use for the website.
>
> From my experience of building PyCon India websites from last 4 years, our community is not good at doing visual design. I suggest to take help of a professional designer.
>
> We can take care of doing 3 and 4.

We would like to be involved, though I know that I had
volunteered this year, and not managed to finish much.
If we can start planning now for next year, we would be
able to commit to finishing things.

I agree that 1 and 2 should be done by someone with
proven design skills. If we cannot find such a volunteer,
and the resources are available, it makes sense to hire
a professional designer.

Anand, while I think that you should be the one taking
major decisions for the site, I would advocate moving
to a CMS-based site, with HasGeek's funnel. My choice
would be django and feincms, but that is open to debate.
For future years, I strongly feel that all the work that
should be needed should be content population, and
restyling.

Regards,
Gora