[Inpycon] Encouraging women developers to join PyCon

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Sat Mar 30 05:17:36 CET 2013

I'm not sure if decreasing ticket prices is sending the right
message. It's kind of condescending. I've always thought that the idea
is equality in the domain rather than special treatment.

However, initiatives like what the pyladies group does are useful. I'm
just not sure how to go about this. It would be nice if there were a few
active female members in the organiser group.

Bibhas Ch Debnath <me at bibhas.in> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have been talking about encouraging women to join PyCon and start
> working on python. Why not take a step towards it? How about we decrease
> ticket price to some amount or maybe waive it totally for them?
>
> This could bring some questions like how'd we know that the ones joining
> are bringing some value to the conference. Well, if more women are
> attending, that's already a plus. To ensure even more, we could start a
> program, like, ask them to create a github account, create 2-5 repo, show
> us and they get a free ticker. Sounds odd and silly, but this will also
> encourage them to start using git or any VCS. And this also shows us that
> those participants actually made some effort to join the conference. They
> are not just drove by the offer of freebies.
>
> I haven't seen many girls take up the initiative to become a developer,
> only couple of my college friends did. They have no one to encourage them
> in becoming developers. So to do that, we might have to put some extra
> manual effort. But it should be overall good for the community.
>
> PS: Should have put the gender field in last year's feedback form. Could
> get a statistic. This year will definitely do it.
>

> ----
> Bibhas
> http://bibhas.in

Cordially,