[Inpycon] PyCon 2012 Possible Dates

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Mon May 21 09:07:49 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Navin Kabra <navin.kabra at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > September 1st/2nd week is a good time for PyCon. The Fri-Sat-Sun in
> > September this year are on 31-Aug/1-2-Sept, 7-8-9 Sept, and 14-15-16.
> Any of
> > these dates are possible. After that, the ICC T20 World cup starts from
> 18
> > Sept onwards, and Ganesh Chaturthi starts from 19 Sept onwards. On 3-5
> Sept,
> > there is a "Cube Conference" happening in Pune
> > (http://www.thecubeconf.com/). This is the first time Cube is happening
> is
> > Pune, so I have no idea of what kind of audience it will draw, and how
> much.
> > But since is it not happening on a weekend, we needn't worry about it too
> > much. There don't appear to be any other major religious holidays. No
> major
> > exams for students in Pune that we are aware of.
> >
> > At this point, let use tentatively say that PyCon 2012 will be around the
> > weekend of 8-9 Sept.
> >
> > Please spend some time checking for possible clashes. We would like to
> > freeze the dates soon.
>
> Weekend of 8-9 sept might not work because of DjangoCon/September 3-9,
> 2012.
>
> Our potential keynote speaker may want to attend that.
>
> Here are the list of weekends.
>
> Sept 01-02: Possible
> Sept 08-09: No. DjangoCon
> Sept 15-16: Possible
> Sept 22-23: No. Ganesh Chaturdi
> Sept 29-30: No. Anant Chaturdashi
> Oct  06-07: Possible
>
> Since we are already running late, the weekend of October 06-07 might work
> well.

I would completely avoid any date 19th onwards. a) Pune gets into a festive
mood, b) Allows students time to travel home etc. etc. Oct 07 is the T20
world cup finals. After that of course you have diwali etc.

I would still think a conflict with a DjangoCon is a far better option than
a conflict either with a) local traffic jams or b) Cricket. So lets focus
on the first two dates above.

http://blog.dhananjaynene.com twitter: @dnene
<http://twitter.com/dnene>google plus:
http://gplus.to/dhananjaynene