[Inpycon] Budget and sponsorship.

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Sat May 19 09:27:18 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Sreekanth S Rameshaiah <sree at mahiti.org>wrote:

> On 15 May 2012 09:40, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Sreekanth S Rameshaiah <sree at mahiti.org>
>> wrote:

>> > +1
>> >
>> > We need to workout details of what would they get in return?
>> > Any thoughts?
>>
>> They can get the same benefits as a gold sponsorship, but we'll have
>> the flexibility of not having to commit a fixed amount of money.
>>
>> It looks like 1.5L INR (3K USD) should be sufficient for travel of one
>> foreign speaker. We may even be able to accommodate the hotel expenses
>> in it. We can tell the sponsors that the actual amount will be
>> somewhere between 3K to 4K USD.
>>
>> Does this sound okay?
>>

> Very good thought.
> +1

As I start collating all this into a doc, this starts being a slightly
dicey one.

a) The exact amount is variable - which could be a slight issue for someone
willing to commit
b) Some of the issues I suspect are due to the fact that remittance could
be in foreign exchange and part of the expenditure (eg. ticket but not the
hotel) are in foreign exchange.
c)  If the amount is not the same as standard slabs it becomes a little
hard for us to figure out exactly what to offer for this - is this a new
slab? How does one slot it between existing slabs etc.

I instead propose that we allow any Gold or Platinum sponsor the following
treatment :

a) Also announce amount in $ slabs. ie. work out what a Gold or Platinum
slab will cost in USD terms.
b) Allow the sponsor to elect to pay for the speaker expenses. It should be
fine if the speaker expenses include local stay and allowances as well in
that amount so long as the speaker gets it directly from the sponsor and
uses it for the local expenses. We should still grant the sponsor the
equivalent treatment of the gold / platinum sponsor so long as they treat
the remainder of the amount as a contribution towards Pycon India
sponsorship. (ie. the exact sponsorship amount remitted to IPSS will be the
difference between the slab and the speaker expenses directly reimbursed,
though the sponsor will get the full benefits of the slab he chooses).
c) My only slight reservation is that the speaker expenses could end up
being > 1.5 lakhs if the rupee continues to depreciate further. So it might
make sense to have the sponsorship $ amounts as being $3500 (instead of
$2800 as per current exchange rate). One may want to consider raising the
local sponsorship gold slab to 1.75 lakhs instead of the 1.5 lakhs and
treat the equivalent foreign currency amount as USD 3500. Thats what I
would recommend.

In light of this suggestion, the sponsorship amounts will be

Platiinum : 3,00,000 INR  or 6,000 USD for foreign sponsors
Gold : 1,75,000 INR or 3,500 USD for foreign sponsors
Silver: 1,00,000 INR or 2,000 USD for foreign sponsors

Dhananjay

Anand

http://blog.dhananjaynene.com twitter: @dnene
<http://twitter.com/dnene>google plus: