[Inpycon] Budget and sponsorship.

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Tue May 1 15:22:16 CEST 2012

Here's one sponsorship proposal as a starter (Note: formatting will
look appropriate only in case of monospace font)

Platinum    Gold    Silver  Community$

400000      200000  100000  35000$
Full time Staffed Informational Booth                             ✔$
Branding on Collateral Folder (will contain other A4 collaterals) ✔$
Logo placement on Lanyard / ID badge                              ✔$
Side informational talks (tutorial days)                          ✔           ✔$
Logo on Posters                                                   ✔           ✔$
Roll Up Banners (one in each hall + 2 more at other locations)    ✔           ✔$
Logo on Swag Bag                                                  ✔           ✔$
Description on Pycon India Site                                   ✔
       ✔       ✔$
GiveAways in the Kit (at cost to Sponsor)                         ✔
       ✔       ✔$
Logo on Pycon India Site                                          ✔
       ✔       ✔       ✔$
One A4 Collateral in delegate kit (composed / printed by sponsor) ✔
       ✔       ✔       ✔$
Conference Passes                                                 8
       4       2       1$

The proposal here is only a starter. To explain some of the objectives
which probably merit discussion (since the exact proposals can be fine
tuned consistent with these objectives),

a) This factors the realisation that going forward, as pycon india has
to grow, either the gate fees need to rise or the sponsorship amounts
need to. The assumption being that gate fees cover only variable
costs, thus leading to a substantial burden on the overall sponsorship
requirement.
b) The attempt has been to make the package more sponsor friendly
without in any way diluting the technical quality. Thus side
informational talks are proposed, but these are left to the sponsors
and are not a part of the technical stream.
c) The attempt also has been to make the delegate kit more substantial
by allowing sponsors to contribute directly in terms of one A4
collateral and at least one give away that the sponsor can decide and
contribute (this would be in addition to the sponsorship fees). This
also helps establish a more direct connect between the attendee and
sponsor, something sponsors are likely to appreciate.
d) Roll up banners can help sponsors have more direct control over
their branding and their message.
e) Information booth allows a specific direct interaction. Thats
something that is a feature of many conferences. These could also be
offered independently, but I am not too sure about it.
f) The only upper limit on sponsorship slabs I think makes sense is
"1" for platinum (just for the exclusivity it provides. The rest
should not be covered by an upper limit in terms of count of sponsors
since we should be able to extend the facilities as suggested to many
sponsors.

The goal isn't to really make tons of money. But the goal is to move
towards a scenario where Pycon India can eventually host itself from
convention centers if need be. Which means the goal indeed is to be
able to attract larger sponsorship support from the companies and
community towards such a growth path.

To comment specifically on Noufal's mail earlier in this thread, I am
not sure how convenient it would be to sell modular packages to
sponsors. I have a feeling it would be easier to offer and sell slabs
in this context but we can have a discussion on the matter. My fear is
that modular offerings (offering specific features for specific
sponsorship amounts and allowing people to pick and choose) might tend
to confuse.

In the proposal above I have been struggling to provide the "extra"
oomph for the platinum slab but haven't been able to come out with
something attractive yet. If we can find something else, we could open
up the information booths to the gold slab sponsors, since a few more
booths (as opposed to just 1) might be a little better.

Open for comments.

I have many more thoughts and suggestions, but thought its better to
kick off the discussion with the sponsorship matter. I expect to raise
a few more points in mails that follow.

Dhananjay