[Inpycon] PyCon India post mortem.

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:27:39 CEST 2011

Let me try to consolidate all of this (and personal feedback I've
received) into a single document and put it up on the wiki. I'll censor
sensitive information before doing this.

This should give us a list of gotchas to avoid. I'll get it up by the
coming Monday. This week is going to be really busy.

Anand Balachandran Pillai <abpillai at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:17 AM, gaurav luthra <gauravluthra06 at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> I am amused nobody pointed out the lack of sufficient power outlets.
>

>  A quick reply - We were aware of this ourselves. Frankly we didn't plan
> properly for this and only bought the power strips (16 of them) the last
> thing
> on the previous day of the conference.
>
> Ideally we should have stocked up a number of them (at least 30) and
> serially connect them to provide power all around. I think it might have
> been
> felt more acutely in the auditorium. I tried my best to link a couple of
> them
> serially at every outlet, but we didn't have enough to cover all seats.
>
> Point taken. We need to stock up on power strips well before
> the conference.
>

>> Although the talks were quite interesting, we could try and include a flow
>> of tracks that start with some introductory overview of the language and
>> progresses through some coding sprints so that newcomers understand better
>> the content that they are being taught. For example, a hands-on session on
>> redis in the evening would have helped. Such workshops spread over three
>> days would be more helpful for some segments of the audience than sitting in
>> talks they can't comprehend and worse they can't try it out then and there.
>> I also suggest the speakers upload the details of the packages being used in
>> the talks in advance so that attendees have them installed. Due to this I
>> missed on some interesting things during the image processing talk by nitin
>> in Track 3 on Day 1. And the absence of wi-fi didn't help either.
>>

> It was perhaps I who first suggested a 1 hr duration of each talk.
> This was from my (bad) experience from last year where I tried to
>  pack a large number of talks with barely breathing room between
> each. So this year the thinking was to provide 45 min for the speaker
> to complete his talk and a luxury of 15 mins to do everything else -
> Q&A, audience interaction, corridor discussions, breaks etc. So not
> surprising that for a few talks where the author either paced himself
> too fast or didn't have enough content, people could have felt that
> the entire session was on the ligher side in terms of content. However
> content is only part of the experience, and we wanted to give room
> to everyone to engage each other and have an all around experience.
> I think it worked.
>

>> My 0.02$.
>> --
>> ~GAURAV LUTHRA~