[Inpycon] PyCon India post mortem.

Navin Kabra navin at smriti.com
Tue Sep 20 04:00:47 CEST 2011

I generally agree with what Dhananjay has said.

I'd like to add a few more points, and respond to a couple of Dhananjay's
points:

1. We should try to get the media sponsorships in place around the time the
CFP goes out. Basically, I don't think we needed the media sponsorships to
get more people attending the conference - we had enough registrations even
before the ads went out. What would help is if "CFP" ads go out in LFY and
DevIQ - we'll hopefully get many more, and even better quality submissions
for talks.

2. Any feedback on the length of the talks? Many talks ended a little early
and we had to fill in with lightening talks, and in some cases, it was just
free time. Did that work well, or would people have liked a more packed
schedule? Have you heard any feedback? My personal opinion is that the 1
hour slots were fine. The best talks did need 1 hour, and in fact had to be
cut-off in the end. The option of having lightening talks was also useful.
And in general, having breaks during the conference is not a bad thing.

3. Regarding fees: While I generally agree that fees should be higher, I
think I would like to see a significant chunk of the non-student tickets
going at around the Rs. 1000 mark. It can increase to Rs 1500 or Rs. 2000,
for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

4. Capacity planning: While it would be good to be able to do capacity
planning, and guarantee seats to people who "book" slots in advance, I think
that would be just too much work and a headache.