[Inpycon] Decision making / Consensus building process. Was Re: Necessity of foreign delegates.

Navin Kabra navin at smriti.com
Tue Feb 22 10:32:03 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> My own personal stand is that everything should be publicly
> discussed. The only exception is for tasks allocated to specific
> individuals (e.g. "Anand, can you fix the email thing on the website")
> which are not relevant to the general public.
>
> I don't like the idea of privately thrashing out something *before*
> putting it on the list.

+1 for thrashing out things on the list.

Speaking as someone relatively new to the list and getting involved in
inpycon for the first time, it would be much easier for me (and I think, for
most of the Pune team) to use the list for bringing up questions, doubts,
issues and building consensus. If there needs to be off-list/private
thrashing out of things before bringing them up on the list, the big
question I would have is, "With whom?" If I want to understand the thought
process behind inviting keynote speakers from abroad, should I ask Noufal,
or Noufal and Anand, or Noufal and Anand and Kenneth? (Note: I've been a
subscriber and occasional poster on this list since mid-2009)

Also, I believe, having such discussions on the list will make the community
stronger.

As we go through the process of organizing an inpycon for the first time,
please bear with us as we stumble upon more issues that might be clear to
someone who was involved in the previous inpycons but are not to us. I think
it's better we get those clarified rather than muddle through with poor
understanding of the issues.

navin.