[Inpycon] Notes from InPyCon planning meeting of local Pune Team

॥ स्वक्ष ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Tue Feb 22 07:25:08 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 06:04, Navin Kabra <navin at smriti.com> wrote:
> I: Introductory and Web (this is the newbies/evangelism/101 track)
> II: Experienced (this is for pythonistas, with prereqs)

I, III and IV sound good but care to explain what you mean by "...with
prereqs"? Does it mean its not open to ALL attendees Or did you mean
its akin to the "Extreme tracks" that pycon-Atlanta is holding? then,
+1 to Extreme talks.

> For this conference, we don't want to really focus on the size of the
> audience - rather we would like to really try hard to get good quality,
> advanced talks. We'll insist on there being enough advanced talks; and
> aggressively reject "introductory" talks that can't be accommodated in the
> introductory track.

I hope the above does not mean "introductory" talks are not welcome. I
assume introductory talks are welcome as Quality is relative and
hardly determined by tags ("advanced"/"introductory"), rather, its the
subject-domain that makes the difference as Python spans a vast array
of subjects. A case in point, among the half-a-dozen "Novice" talks
listed here, its possible that a Genetic programmer might be
interested in listening how puppet is used to build the
development/production environment for his/her code, and viceversa.
Isnt there something that one may not know, always? YMMV.

http://us.pycon.org/2011/schedule/presentations/97/
http://us.pycon.org/2011/schedule/presentations/56/
http://us.pycon.org/2011/schedule/presentations/12/
http://us.pycon.org/2011/schedule/presentations/113/
http://us.pycon.org/2011/schedule/presentations/83/
http://us.pycon.org/2011/schedule/presentations/155/

> 1. How much to charge? Reference: Pycon 2010 charged 250 for early bird, 350
> for not-so-early bird, and 500 on the spot. Current thinking is to keep it
> the same.

Agree.

> Maybe charge Rs. 150 for Day 0 Tutorials if there are people who
> want to attend just that.

Is that per tutorial over and above the 250 registration fee? If a
person chooses two tutorials then he/she pays 300 bucks and they are
likely to compare it to the registration cost which is lower.
Something that should be considered before arriving at a price point
is the marketability of the Speaker(read, Teacher?), the demand for
the tutorial topic with respect to the crowd that attends -- i.e.
students, who formed the large percentage of 2010. You would know
better how Pune will pan out.

> 3. Is a foreign speaker really necessary? We spend a lot of money, and maybe
> they don't have the star power that we think they have.

This is being discussed in another thread so no redux.

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com