[Inpycon] Necessity of foreign delegates. Was Re: Notes from InPyCon planning meeting of local Pune Team

Roshan Mathews rmathews at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:41:15 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 16:54, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 16:48 +0530, Roshan Mathews wrote:
>> WRT PyCon2011, and this thread, there are two issues:
>>
>> 1. Should we invite a guest speaker?
>> 2. Should we subsidize his stay and travel?
>>
>> I was +1, -1 on those two.  But Noufal convinced me, I'm currently
>> +1/+1 on both.
>
> if we invite a guest speaker from anywhere, it is common courtesy to
> look after travel etc. That is beside the point. As for inviting guest
> speakers from abroad, I was -1 on it, I am now -0.

On the contrary, that was exactly the point of this thread, since the
argument boiled down to whether it was money well spent.  I guess the
terminology of "guest/invited speaker" sits better than "foreign
keynote speaker".

> I am more worried
> about getting sponsors - the one company I was hoping for has refused
> (although the open source division of the company is still trying to do
> something - but it will not be platinum).

Worrying already?  I don't think people have even started pitching to
companies yet, it's too early to get all pessimistic.

--
http://about.me/rosh