[Inpycon] Necessity of foreign delegates. Was Re: Notes from InPyCon planning meeting of local Pune Team

Roshan Mathews rmathews at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 06:34:52 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:56, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good points, these.  But Dhananjay did raise an interesting point, is
>> it customary for a conference to pay for the travel and board of the
>> keynote speakers?  Or are the keynote speakers mostly locals?  What
>> happened in the APAC Pycon?  That was in Singapore, right?  About the
>> same distance from Europe and the US, as India.
>
> http://pycon.sit.rp.sg/pycon-apac-2010
>
> They had Steve Holden as keynote speaker.

I found that.  The question was, did they pay his airfare?  What about
his stay?  I'm not against the idea, per se.  I think it is fantastic
to get a core Python developer to speak.  But if conferences normally
don't pay for this, I'd find it hard to understand why we'd want to be
pioneers.

Since there is still time, is it feasible to get a company which
employs Python committers, say Google, to send them over to India for
the duration of the conference.

Anyways, the final call will be Dhananjay's.  Or whoever is the lead
chap, or whatzitcalled.

--
http://about.me/rosh