[Inpycon] Flames [OT] (was: Re: On the nature of discussions)

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 15:31:15 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15 2011, Roshan Mathews wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:38, Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> * All discussions (and especially direct attacks) must be entirely issue
> >> based and non-personal. *
> >>
> >> Of course personal attacks should be welcomed so long as they are
> conducted
> >> directly between the mailboxes of the sender and the recipient in a
> route
> >> completely bypassing this mailing list.
> >
> > Fwiw, +1
> >
> > Sending flames direct to the person concerned instead of the list,
> > might help.

If the poster is "on fire", then he in the heat of the moment, typically
does a "reply all".

Foresight is not a virtue which one has in these discussions.
Apologies if any are an afterthought :)

Personally, I don't mind such posts as long as the language
is still civil. One can attack another person quite viciously
in content, but still keep the tone below 95 degrees fahrenheit.

> One of the places I worked for earlier had (and still has) a "flames"
> mailing list which people can use to just vent. It was an archived list
> and I've spent many a lonely night revisiting old battlefields between
> greats.
>
> A 5 or 6 year old archive of completely combustible material. 'twas a
> volcano.

--Anand