[Inpycon] Foreign delegates

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 11:40:24 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15 2011, Baishampayan Ghose wrote:
>
> >> The general use of Python in India as far as I can tell is for web
> >> related programming so perhaps some notable from the Django, Pinax,
> >> Pylons etc. communities?
> >>
> >> Other good speakers that come to mind are Raymond Hettinger (core
> >> Python), Ian Bicking(infrastructure, web, packaging), Michael
> >> Foord(testing), David Beazley (concurrency).
> >
> > Jacob Kaplan Moss (Django), Armin Ronacher (Flask, Jinja, Werkzeug,
> Pygments).
>
> [...]
>
> Jacob is the keynote speaker for APAC PyCon this year. I don't know if
> he's interested in *2* trips. We can ask however. We might be able to
> ask some of the other core Django people or maybe the Pinax chaps like
> James Tauber or someone. I'm not really into Django so I don't know
> who'd be good.
>
> Armin's an awesome hacker but he's very young and I don't know if he can
> really pull off a keynote. It's the same reason why I didn't suggest
> Alex Gaynor.
>
> Also, English is not his mother tongue so the presentation quality might
> suffer a little. The same reason why I didn't suggest Tarek (of
> distutils2 fame).
>
> Another person I can think of that can *really* liven a conference is
> the PSF chairman Steve Holden. He's got a knack for making things come
> to life and would considerably change the general mood of the event.

Would be great to have him!

Raymond Hettinger is one of the most valuable Python developers
in terms of his range and depth of contributions and his remarkable
consistency in adding high-performance modules to the stdlib. Would
be an ideal fit for our conf, if he agrees to come.

IMHO, let us try and get core Python devs for keynote. No offence
meant, but inviting a non-core contributor from one of the other
projects, will give the <wrong> idea that the conf is not a generic
Python conference, the first hour of the first day itself.

As a side-note, do we want to go for PSF sponsorship this time for
the foreign delegate ? Considering the hoops we went through last time
to get the money refunded to David from PSF, I would be very relieved
if we can avoid this.

--Anand