[Inpycon] venue

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 05:16:37 CET 2011

2011/2/11 Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have explained my point of view in another message on this thread - I
>> am not going to repeat myself.
>>
>> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 18:51 +0530, Anand Balachandran Pillai wrote:
>> >

>> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >         On Thu, Feb 10 2011, Anand Balachandran Pillai wrote:
>> >

>> >         [...]
>> >
>> >         > I would like to also point out that being obstinately
>> >         repeating
>

> Let's move forward. Either we have Open Bids from Cities/Towns etc the way
> Shree(of Mahiti) suggested or this boils down to a city war, which doesn't
> help anyone.

Why?

I think Shree's suggestion is very well received and people from Pune
and Chennai have already sent their proposals.

Noufal said that we'll wait till saturday to receive proposals. I
think we can discuss the merits of the proposals and finalize one of
them.

I'm seeing that it going in very good direction and I don't see any
city wars there.

> Before that, let's have a consensus that the third installment of the
> conference needs to be BIGGER and BETTER, and that's what we are all
> striving for.
>
> Kenneth is all his earnest has made a pitch for Coimbatore, and we all
> respect it.  He has presented it from his point of view, and many of us have
> minor or major reservations against holding Pycon in Coimbatore. I believe
> the points raised by Anand and some of the others are valid. But arguing
> online is not going to help us.
>
> Point is which is the alternative city if not Coimbatore? Chennai has
> over-ruled itself.
>
> While people are suggesting Pune, I have not seen a comment which inspires
> confidence in organizing in Pune. Suggestions are fine, but we need 2-3
> names who inspires confidence in rest of us, that they would be able to
> deliver a property like Pycon. Now that exists with Coimbatore. We can all
> be confident under Kenneth's stewardship we may be able to deliver in
> Coimbatore.
>
> Delhi is another place where activities have started, again no one whom we
> can all trust has come forward and bid
>
> This boils down to just Coimbatore and if Coimbatore is not accepted we need
> to rethink, Bangalore.
>
> I know most of us took a call on not doing it in Bangalore again.
>
> Hence if the non-cosmo non-hotness factor of Coimbatore outweighs itself,
> then the choice remains doing it in Bangalore, which if you remove the
> reservations of not repeating it in Bangalore, is still the best city to
> hold Pycon.
>

> This finally makes it to 2 Choices
>
> 1) Hold it in Coimbatore
>
> If Yes,
>    Lets all gang up and make it great for Coimbatore
> OR

>      Let's make it the best Pycon ever, probably the last to be held in
> Bangalore for next 2-3 years, unless we have situation like this again, next
> year.
>

> Please vote for these two choices. if there's an alternative, then we need
> to see a solid proposal from another city. To me, the proposal of Coimbatore
> is quite good, but well the lack of HOTNESS factor, and the fact that this
> may not be exactly the most accessible city is against it. And this is a
> fact
>
> I think we have heard all arguments for and against Coimbatore. So its all
> about voting +1, 0, -1 etc...

Please wait until saturday. We'll look at the proposal, discuss the
merits of each and finalize one.

Anand