[Inpycon] venue

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 13:40:25 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 16:02 +0530, Anand Balachandran Pillai wrote:
> > With all due respect, a Pycon India is worlds away from
> >  a World Tamil Conference
>
> mention of World Tamil Conference is merely to show that crores of
> rupees have been poured into the infrastructure of the city
>
> > in terms of the kind of audience.
> >  We would want a more cosmopolitan city to host it,
>
> I do not understand what this has to do with anything

 I will be flat out frank then. If we are going to invite someone from
abroad
 as I think we would like to do, I would rather prefer a city where we can
 go around a bit, have some fun and has a wide choice when it comes
 to cuisine etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but my personal belief is that
 Coimbatore for all its good qualities, is lacking here. I am not very sure
 it is good advertisement for the conference at this early stages.

 Also, since we expect a lot of delegates from central-North India,
 wouldn't it be better to have a more central and well-connected location
 which has a more cosmopolitan mix of people ?

Let us take hypothetical city "X" and play a mental game.

Person A from South India, B from central India, C from North, D from
North East, E from North West and F who is a foreign delegate are
talking.

A - Pycon India this year is in city "X".
B - Oh really, X is cool, I have been there many times.
C - "X" ? Yeah, it is a good place for conferences, I have flown
there many times myself.
D - Never been to "X", but heard about it, surely look forward
to attending this.
E - X ? My friends and relatives live there, so it would be cool.
F - X ? Yeah of course, my friend works for a company who
outsources to their dev center in X.

Now, substitute "X" with Chennai, Bangalore, Pune etc and I think it
fits. I am not so so sure about Coimbatore.

Now got it ? I do hope so.

I would like to also point out that being obstinately repeating Coimbatore
is good, great, fine etc doesn't make it so. You seem to believe that
hammering a point down the throat of others, makes it by default
a valid and accepted one.

> --
> regards
> Kenneth Gonsalves