[Inpycon] Tutorials

॥ स्वक्ष ॥ vid at svaksha.com
Tue Apr 19 16:29:32 CEST 2011

Thanks Steve,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:49, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> In that case I discussed sponsorship with Google (at the time represented by
> Leslie Hawthorne) because we'd been hammering away on the diversity list so
> long, and as I remember it she said something along the lines of "why don;t
> you use $15,000 of our sponsorship money to encourage womens' attendance".
> I think Van was a little cheesed to discover that $15,000 of his sponsorship
> money had been "preallocated", but Gloria and Peter made sure that an
> additional sum did indeed go to improving the gender balance (somewhat: we
> went up form 2% to 11% in 2010.

The 2010 transition from single digits to double is indeed laudable,
thanks to the champions within Google (no names please!) :).

Can you explain what you meant when you say "an additional sum went
into improving the gender balance" -- do you mean the PSF matched the
sponsorship money or another sponsor pitched in an equal amount?
...something else I'm missing?

> Don't even know if anyone was measuring in
> 2011, informally I'd judge it dipped again as there was no special "women's"
> effort this year.
> Feel free to write to Gloria and Peter for more information - I am sure they
> will be happy to help.

/me goes to bug them a bit more :)

--
vid ॥ http://svaksha.com