[Inpycon] Tutorials

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:31:57 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 19 2011, Dhananjay Nene wrote:

[...]

> I have at least two volunteers (including self to run the tutorials
> course) I am looking for more. I believe it would be helpful if we can
> structure a non commercial tutorials. As I continue to look for more
> volunteers - is there anyone on the list who would be keen to
> volunteer for the same (ie.  running a part of the tutorial sessions)
> ?

I don't mind taking a tutorial but I'm more interested in doing a
regular talk on something more involved.

I'm not personally interested in the payment.

We had a talk quality problem during the first two years at the
conference. I don't like the thought of students coming to conference
for a tutorial and then receiving a half baked talk on something the
presenter has no idea about. If there's a commercial angle, I think
quality control can be better exercised.

If it's one day for tutorials and each tutorial is (say) 3 hours, we can
do maybe 4 or 6 of them (one in the morning, one the afternoon x 3 [or
2] rooms). If you can find these many people willing to do it for free
(who you personally know to be really good), then I think we can go
ahead with unpaid tutorials but with a fixed number of seats and first
come first serve basis.

> This is not meant to preclude us finding out about the policies of the
> institution when offering paid for tutorials - I think we need to keep
> both the possibilities moving.

Agreed. It's just that we have to decide one way or another soon so that
we can send out the CFP as early as possible.

[...]