[Inpycon] Some thoughts on talks

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 06:56:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> senthil is our guy, pity I missed him.
> >

> > In light of the discussion that has been on this and a few other threads
> > here are a few views which I simply cannot refrain myself from putting
> > forward.
> >
> > 1. Applying for a talk, getting selected and not delivering the talk is
> the
> > wrong thing to do. However, addressing this issue is something the
> > administrators must do amongst themselves rather than on a public ML.
>
> Maybe. Public shaming does however have it's advantages. It is public
> knowledge if someone gets selected and doesn't show up without notifying
> the organisers. A lot of people were really hurt by this. I personally
> had some conversations where people voiced their grievance about how
> much they prepared for the talk and how pissed they were. I'm more
> sympathetic to them rather than to the chap who didn't show up. I don't
> know if I saw an apology later either which is definitely uncool.
>
> No apologies yet. I am not holding my breath for it either. If someone
is as unprofessional as to submit a talk proposal and having received
a number of communication emails regarding its approval, upload of
slides etc etc and fails to turn up without informing the coordinator(s)
 - well that is where I draw the line and expect no more from him.

But these people have paid a small price for their action as their
odds for getting selected for a future Pycon talk anywhere now
stand at 0.0.

--
--Anand