[Inpycon] Venue option : IIMB

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed May 5 02:36:05 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 6:10:19 pm Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> I think we're all confirmed with RV then? If so, perhaps we should
> give a token advance or something to get it booked? And update the
> site to mention the venue.

btw, if you do not mind my giving some avuncular advice, I would suggest that
a group of people from our side - preferably including society office bearers -
seek an appointment with the Principal/correspondent/HOD and have a formal
meeting with them. In this meeting they can be briefed on what python is and
also we can offer our services in conducting a workshop or two to bring the
students up to speed. It is important to build a cordial working relationship
with the management so that they go the extra mile in making the conference a
success. I would further suggest that the delegation dresses formally (suits
if you have them) - this makes a good impression on academics who are unlikely
to be impressed by geeks with scruffy beards, jeans and teeshirts. This meeting
should also arrange one or two people from each side as liason.

I would further suggest that this be given utmost priority. I have seen
several collaborations between colleges and open source groups go belly up
because of the casual attitude from our side - we do not mean disrespect, but
our attitude is interpreted that way. India is still largely a feudal society,
and we should realise this.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves