[Inpycon] Setting up the web site for Pycon 2010 {was Website Setup}

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Mon May 3 08:25:28 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

[..]

> I had offered to host this, but was expecting someone to get in touch with
> me by mail or otherwise. I am sorry things didn't work the way we wanted it
> to.

No harm done. The problem (if you want to call it that) in my opinion
is that we're all working in volunteer mode. That's all we can do.
Because of this, I feel that we should try to get our aims achieved
with as little work as possible (since there's only so much
bandwidth).

I felt that to get FOSSConf fully set up and running would require
more coordination/time than what we have in our hands which is why I
rather strongly voted against it.

> I have seen the code which Kenneth has written, and I feel with minor
> tweaking it can be made to be used for practically all conferences.

I haven't seen the code but from experience, it's a quite feature
rich. The problem is the time required for "minor tweaking".

One person has to take up the "site" and handle all aspects of it from
setup/deployment/maintenance and (if necessary), development. If this
doesn't happen, these tiny issues will prevent us from having a full
fledged site. Kenneth took it up last year but is tied up this year.
Anand C. has agreed to take care of it this year using something other
than FOSSConf and in my view, this is what's more important than the
technical quality of the product or the language that it's written in.
Misunderstandings about responsibility (e.g. in the above case - who
will host it), familiarity with codebase, ownership of the VPS etc.
will all work against us if we don't get them out of the way upfront.

[..]

Now that we have someone in charge of the site, I think we should put
this behind us and move on to other aspects of the conference. What do
you all feel?

--
~noufal