[Inpycon] Using Google Moderators and Wave to make talks for PyCon India 2010 more interactive

Pranav Prakash pranny at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 13:30:34 CEST 2010

Okay, so here is a brief introduction to Google Moderator.

1st way of using Moderator ---

   1. The Admins of InPyCon will create a set of *series of question.* Each
   series will correspond to a talk on PyCon. The Series could be named in a
   formatted manner to help people understand the topic of a series. The Series
   can be created at http://www.google.com/moderator/#13
   2. Once the admins create a series, they will invite the speaker(s) of
   that session to be the owner of the series.
   3. When a series has been created, people can post questions on it. The
   questions can be ranked and starred by other people. So, a question with
   more upvotes means that more people are having difficulty in that particular
   question, so at the end of the discussion (if time permits) those questions
   will be discussed. The good thing is, even if the talk is over, the series
   does not gets over, and the speaker/delegates can continue discussion on a
   particular topic/question afterwards also.
   4. Prerequisite : People trying to access Google Moderator must have a
   valid google account.

I have created a test series for people to get acquainted with the features
and options available. My test series is at
http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1f326

2nd way of using Moderator ---

   1. The admins of InPyCon will create a new "meeting" in Moderator. This
   can be done at http://www.google.com/moderator/#14/e=1f326
   2. The date/time/agenda of the meeting is included in the details of the
   meeting
   3. Optionally, a time can be set for start of questions/answers and a
   deadline after which no further question/answer/discussion is possible.
   4. People will ask questions/ up vote/ down vote a question or answer it
   in usual manner.
   5. I have created a test meeting at
   http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=1f326&t=1f326.41

The links to these moderator meetings/series will be shown at the beginning
of the talks, and i think its a good idea to shorten and use a sensible
name. Something like http://bit.ly/ScalableApps, which will redirect users
to the Moderator meeting for building scalable apps on App Engine.

In my view, the second approach seems better.

As a matter of fact, Google Moderator runs on App Engine :-) The actual URL
is moderator.appspot.com

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 16:24, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm moving this discussion to inpycon.
>
> Pranav Prakash <pranny at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was thinking if we can use Google Moderators (
> > http://www.google.com/moderator) and google wave to make the talks for
> PyCon
> > India more interactive and lively.
> > If we could come up with a plan of usage of these tools, maybe we can
> inform
> > the speakers in advance so they will be more comfortable with it.
>
> I'm not familiar with either but if you think so and can do the
> groundwork necessary to help the speakers with it, I can help in any way
> you need.
>
> Thanks

*Pranav Prakash*

"This life is more than ordinary"