[Inpycon] Plans for PyCon India 2010

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Wed Feb 24 09:33:50 CET 2010

Hi,

On 02/24/2010 03:34 AM, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> Okay... I guess it's time to get cracking..
>
> What are the plans? I believe the only thing we've settled on is the
> venue Chennai. We need the society and bank account and it's being
> registered/created.
>
> I spoke to some folks here and I think we can get some the luminaries
> to speak if we can cover air faire/accommodation. That's something we
> should worry about sponsor wise.

I hope folk don't mind me branching off the discussion away from the current
talk of the speakers. As someone who did not attend the last Inpycon nor has
attended any pycon for that matter, I am curious about the format of this
conference.

While i would enjoy seeing and listening to some community rockstar from abroad,
maybe before we start inviting people, we should organize our thoughts around
other tasks that might also be carried out and weigh the value of inviting person X.

For instance:

a. Should we build a theme for this year's conference (py on mobiles ? py on web
? SciPy ? py in education ? ....etc) and using /that/ info to decide who to
extent invitations to (could be Indian or international).

b. Just to put out an idea, can we arrange a contest of kinds to lead up to the
conference (not necessarily programming -- it could be also something like using
python tools to create a logo, animation, video, game ...blah).

c. For the cost of travel for one guest speaker, we could (print[1] and)
distribute books (...even if that is unfeasible for free, maybe we can do that
only to 'N early bird registrations' or to everyone at a subsidized price)
...besides the customary t-shirts and stickers :).

d. Hackathrons, I imagine would be fun too.

cheers,
- steve

[1] http://www.network-theory.co.uk/
For eg: buy the pdfs and get a local publisher like http://fsm.co.in/site/ to
print copies (and if he is coming, get GvR to sign them !!)

btw diveintopython isn't listed there, but printing that would be nice.
http://diveintopython.org/appendix/fdl_copying.html

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/
tech randomness: http://lonehacks.blogspot.com/